View Single Post
Old 2017-02-08, 18:53   Link #88
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i love this series, it is very similar to Mushoku Tensei as they are both about MC earning redemption after wasting their past life. And unlike the other tensei series, there is no easy cheat mode. The only cheat the MC has is his memories form his past life and it does not included him knowing how to farm or built gadgets. The MC earn evey but of his power and abilities.
I didn't like Mushoku Tensei. It's one thing to try and redeem youself after living a miserable past life, but it's another to have driven your mother to death and not even go to her funeral, but I do like this series. Main characters trying to live better second lives always sounded like such a bullshit, eye-rolling concept to me when I read it in other stories, but the genuine sincerity here really helps me feel some sympathy.

His past memories and knowledge allow him to really make the best of his unusual circumstances and fortuitous upbringing so it feels less like a cheat.

My favorite part is the magic mechanic. It and gods follow the conceptual trope that's been all the rage recently, but makes it less of a cheat. Gus is a true Gandalf dishing out useful, realistic advice. He knows magic is limited and risky so he advises Will to avoid it. Blood teaches him muscle and none of that overcome power with technique that's been a little too overdone.

Just checked j-novel and they're finally starting volume 2. Can't wait to see where Will goes.