View Single Post
Old 2004-07-11, 12:37   Link #1
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Anbu-Aone too over-rated?

I finally got my girlfriend to watch some anime. (this may prove to be the perfect relationship yet)

Anyway, I re-watched the entire Naruto series with her over a few days and I noticed something.

When i had frist watch the series, I stuck with Anbu all the way until around episode 73 then the speed subbers got me hooked so I gave up on Anbu-Aone's delayed sub's.

When i recently watched them again, (episode 73-89) from anbu-aone subbs, i was kinda disgusted.

Although their picture quality and "impoartant conversations" are not lost, Anbu-Aone subs are just plain booooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg gg

I think they are trying to translate too specifically and accurately from japanese. That may sound good but its not always what is needed. Youve probably heard the term "Lost in translation" If something sounds cool and the conversation flows well in japanese, it may not flow as well in English. And so precicely translating it into english will hurt how the anime reads. You need to compensate and make the subs sound good in english.

Shin-Otaku and Baka do this rather well. I vastly prefer their subs now. Although the picture quality is hurting. Even though they might slip up a coulple of times in the translation, it does matter because in general they capture the mood of the conversation well when they put it into english. Anbu-Aone translate it too literally and the on screen conversations just sound strange sometimes. Even the trash talking during fights sounds cheesy when you watch it from Anbu-Aone.

You cannot know what im talking about till you watch some episodes from different subbers then watch the same episodes from Anbu-Aone. The difference is like night and day.

Im not asking for a flame fest. Just a discussion.
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline   Reply With Quote