View Single Post
Old 2013-04-28, 05:48   Link #32
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryonosis View Post
The term Anime, in general English use, has evolved into being a shortened form of animation, just as it is in Japan and Europe.
Americans seem to have a habit of changing the meaning of words out of ignorance. For example a "parakeet" is a small to medium sized parrot typically with a long tail. However, to Americans, a "parakeet" is Melopsittacus Undulatus, or it's more correct common name is "budgerigar".

To me, "anime" will always refer to Japanese animation. I supposed if people wanted to, they could call Japanese cars "kuruma", heck they can call it "gogomobiles" if they wanted to, but to morph the meaning of "gogomobiles" to refer to all cars simply because people who buy cars are ignorant of the origin of the correct term is... ignorant.

Back on topic, the things I love about anime is the art and the story. If another country (such as the Middle East) produces something similar, it doesn't matter to me which country it comes from, as long as the art is nice and the story is interesting, I would watch it. Plus it would be nice to see what kind of stories another culture would produce.

Naruto used to air on a Chinese satellite channel that I used to watch, but then they replaced it with a Chinese animation where the stories focused on morality and the characters had names such as Duibuqi (literally: I'm sorry) and Xiexie Ni (literally: Thank you). That show was incredibly boring, and the animation quality was low.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed "A Chinese Ghost Story" animated by a Hong Kong studio. The story was interesting, and the animation was gorgeous. It would be nice to see more of that.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-05-10 at 02:17.
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote