View Single Post
Old 2006-05-02, 19:07   Link #49
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
its mostly interesting as a "classic" in the way that Jules Verne is but no one actually reads it
1st: I read Jules Verne.
So do I.

Quote:
2nd: A lot of people still watch and like Love Hina
So do I -- although it's hardly in the same class of excellence as Mahoraba, it's a significant influence on harem anime following.

Quote:
3rd: You need to work on your analogies.
Everybody has trouble with analogies. It's like when you're trying to jump out a building, and you find out you left your wings at home... no, wait... that doesn't work. Let me think...

Quote:
heh... apologies, was in a hurry (and should have said not many instead of no one). .... I thought about using Spencer's Faerie Queen and decided no one would have any idea.
I would. And don't try to up the ante by dragging out Boccaccio or Ariosto or some other obscurity. I'm hip to them, too.

Quote:
Do you read Verne in the original French or the translations?
Both.

Quote:
(which can be pretty stilted depending on when it was done). I recommend it to younger folk but I usually get the same response I get when people read Dickens or HG Wells... the pre-20th C. verbosity numbs them.
I like Wells, though I've always found Dickens to be somewhat overblown. Give me Oscar Wilde or E.A. Poe, or any of the Romantic poets, and I'm happy. I also happen to like Milton (and not just his most famous works).

Quote:
I still pull Love Hina out occasionally and read the threads I like but I usually tell people to read it early or first if they're starting out in comedic romance manga. If Mahoraba gets licensed, that "starting point" might change.
I heartily concur. It's at or near the top -- though I think Honey and Clover (which isn't solely a romance, so maybe it doesn't count) deserves to be mentioned. But Love Hina will always be worth reading / watching, because of the influence it has had.

Getting back to the awful analogies, Love Hina is like Hemingway. Even though nearly everything he produced was utter crap, he has influenced so many imitators and wannabes that he's unavoidable. Alas (for yea and verily, Hemingway was a world-class wanker). No wait, that doesn't work, either... LH beats Hemingway, any day of the week.
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote