View Single Post
Old 2009-09-04, 01:38   Link #99
calorie

So this is why I love(d) this anime. Supernatural parts excluded, it's basically watching these characters do things that aren't that fun in quite an inexpert fashion - yet with every aspect combined in just the right amounts, I end up watching the ED thinking "God this was good", anxiously anticipating the next episode.

I thought the animation was particularly good in this episode, this is the best SHnY has looked in my opinion. Mikuru was utterly adorable wasted and Haruhi's facial expressions were on that fine line between the arrogant, confident, self-righteous and cute (the latter increased towards the end of the episode in a linear fashion). Also Tsuruya - I've hardly noticed this character much before but her laughing at Mikuru and the slight resemblance to Haruhi personality-wise were very entertaining, I rejoiced every time I saw her in a scene.

Kyon opposing Haruhi was a nice story development, I got kind of sick seeing him just complain and nag but never having the courage to go past the teeth-gritting (the potential punches were a bit too much but eh, guess we could say he lost it). Then that conversation with Koizumi, interesting as always (though more serious in character which reminded me of that major one they had in taxi in season 1), revealed some interesting thoughts on Koizumi's part. So Haruhi might have only been granted the power of a God but she isn't one? And this world they are in is what, her playground, a dimension separate from the one they originated from, thus being less important (failure)? I'm hoping the story will go along these lines and get more complicated. Even Taniguchi played a role here; he made Kyon find out how big of an idiot he is too. I mean come on, yeah Haruhi has many flaws but doing things with her and the rest of the SOS brigade doesn't look all that boring to me (the opposite actually) and Kyon knows that too except his subconscious mind rarely lets that thought emerge.

A thoroughly enjoyable episode, quite an eye-candy, what with the shading in Tsuruya's house and intricate facial expressions.