View Single Post
Old 2009-07-12, 14:32   Link #134
Goilveig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The servants shifts actually has them patrolling the mansion even during the night into the wee hours of the morning, its really the guesthouse that's questionable if anyone was up and about. So far Shannon being one of the patrolling servants was attacked and killed while Kanon was not. This leads to the assumption that the killer didn't kill based on opportunity, rather chose the victims for a personal selection basis.
There's a problem with this reasoning -- it's more clear in the VN (though it's mentioned in the anime as well), but Shannon isn't supposed to be in the mansion that night. She and Kanon had just been reassigned (by Krauss) to the night shift in the guest house. Gohda was the only one who was supposed to be on the night shift at the mansion, and Genji and Kumasawa are off-duty but supposed to sleep in the guest house.

It's implied that Shannon goes to the mansion only because she was so flustered by the ring that she needed to get away from George for a while.

If you assume the victims were deliberately selected, and the killer(s) knew both the servants' new schedules (recently changed by Krauss) and assumed the adults would stay in the mansion and the kids go to the guesthouse, then the killer(s) would expect the following:

Mansion: Kinzo, Krauss, Natsuhi, Eva, Hideyoshi, Rudolf, Kyrie, Rosa, Gohda
Guesthouse: Jessica, George, Battler, Maria, Genji, Kumasawa, Shannon, Kanon, Nanjo???

To the best of our knowledge, the only difference is that Shannon was in the mansion not the guesthouse (though of course we don't know for sure where she was at the time she was killed). I'm not sure we know where Nanjo spent the night, or where a killer would assume he would spend the night. I'm assuming he normally spends nights at the guest house, but I'm not sure if even the VN clarifies that particular point.

Last edited by Goilveig; 2009-07-12 at 15:43.