Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-09, 04:31   Link #2173
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Except that the humans not only were killing Shikis,they started going after people that were simply bitten (and being bitten once isn't deadly,they could have recovered) or supposed "traitors" when they had no proof and sometimes were just innocent people.

The humans were also in denial about the shikis still being the same people they were when they were alive.
It's one thing to accept the fact that "hey,I'm going to have to kill this person I'm very fond of to survive,so be it", and another to try and confort yourself by saying "this isn't the person I once knew,so it's ok to kill that person" because the latter is a complete lie,the shikis still had memories and emotions so they still were very much the same person.
Killing people who had been bitten was an invention of the 20.5 OVA. In the manga, Oogawa didn't even think about killing the mind controlled servants who had stabbed him (four times). 20.5 rewrote the intended purpose of that section of the manga, to show how hard it was for the humans to do it as opposed to the callousness of the Shiki. Just look at villager who ran across shiki coming home late from a meeting. His former neighbors turned shiki not only don't even think to help him, they chat with his future killers. The parts it retained from the original, like the villager refusing to kill one shiki because he owed him a lot, when that shiki had unknown to him killed his son, look jarringly out of place.

The manga makes it clear that shiki like Nao who had given into their darker impulses were no longer human and unlike a human criminal, had no chance of redemption. It also showed that Nao's family had been friends with the family of the guy with the hat whose father had been shot. His son had also been killed by a shiki before. Nao either did it or stood by and let it happen. That's why he wanted to destroy her.

Last edited by neutrino; 2011-08-09 at 04:45.
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote