View Single Post
Old 2011-11-05, 02:34   Link #100
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Well y'know, there are weird instances in which you don't know if you're 100% happy with the origin of your name. My parents named me "Thomas" after the only person who placed his hands upon the wounds of the risen Messiah, which I think is really cool. But at the same time, he's the only one who refused to acknowledge his existence UNTIL he felt those wounds, which is a strange counterweight for me when I think of it.

Much like that, who knows about Nagisa? It all depends on how they view it and where it came from. If your child grows up to think that anime's that creepy thing that old, lonely men watch every night in their basements, then she might not like it. If she appreciates it for the creative medium that it is, then she might just love it. My fear is the retarded pronunciations they'd use; it's already been addressed, but many foreigners will say "Na-GEE-sa" which might just ruin the original intent of the name.

By the way, if I ever have a daughter, I want to name her "Hannah" but with the spelling and pronunciation "Hana", meaning flower, blossom or even beautiful in Japanese.