View Single Post
Old 2011-10-04, 10:17   Link #24826
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
The point is and AT already made this quite clear, it doesn't matter to the character of Tôya what you think. This might sound harsh, but the dimension of subjective perspective forming "reality" as it is present in Umineko makes it impossible to say something like Tôya is wrong because he can't disappear.
He experiences Battler's memory as something alien trying to force him out of control over his own body. Therefore it is only natural for him to fight it.
In case I hadn't made my point clear I'll repeat it.
I find Toya's fear irrational for a normal person, easy solvable since someone should have told him that what he feared wasn't going to happen especially since the fact he would/could recover his memories was easily predictable.
No need to let him believe they would never return and then let him panic when they do.
Of course it can be argued that even Battler's fear about ships is irrational so maybe, no matter the personality, he's bound to have irrational fears and to overreach about them and there's no way to help it.

Still, while Battler's fear for ship is a comic relief and a hint about how the scene of his escape is likely fictional, his fear to remember is supposed to lead to avoid Ange and to a real fit that will cause him to end up on a wheelchair and it's used for dramatic purposes.
However, from the way everyone describes it, it doesn't help me to feel more sympathetic about him since I can't see him in any real danger.

This is one of the points in which I would have preferred Ryukishi to handle things differently, giving Battler a normal fugue state, or making him traumatized by his memories of the Rokkenjima incident, or causing him some sort of insanity for example.

In that case I could have sympathized with him and understand his choices.
As it's presented, I feel as sympathetic to him as his cousins when he claimed he would fall from the ship and I think this wasn't what Ryukishi was aiming at.

Call me callous if you want but really, his fear feels to unreal to me to be believable.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote