View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 21:34   Link #2070
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigomorla View Post
Dude...

Ken practiced wayyyyy more then shioon.
Shioon also took a magic pill that made him stronger.

you cant compare the two.

Its like comparing Ise vs Sairiog.. from dxd... one got lucky from an item, the other honed his power from torture.
That's the problem. The author used a Deus Ex Machina, spent 70 monthly chapters starting the develop the character, took all his strength away, but kept him fighting the same level foes for 160 chapters without much changing. I know Shioon doesn't have the training, it's why I said he doesn't even have Kenichi's strength. However, just because it's logical doesn't make it good for the plot or story. There is a tvtropes page called "Failure Hero", where basically, the hero loses so much that it actually drives away readers. I think Shioon has been heading on that path for a while.

The thing both HSDK's and The Breaker's authors failed to do is balance out the leads with what's going on. HSDK failed, IMO, as soon as Yami became the main threat and the disciples became background characters. It's no longer Kenichi's fight, it's the Masters, which is why we spend so much time watching him standing around these days. It gives the manga an air of stagnation, that Kenichi hasn't grown, even if he has, because his foes are so much more powerful than him that the growth doesn't even matter.

The Breaker's flaw is that the author reset 70 chapters (several years) of development to zero and then started to drag out the character's return to strength, while still making him face foes he has no chance of fighting. People already don't like resets. Extremely slow development just makes it worse.

In the end it just comes down to power levels of the main characters compared to that of the foes they're facing. It'd be like having Yamcha as the main character in DBZ and having him be the one to fight Frieze, Cell and Bui. It gives a feeling of pointlessness.