View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 09:58   Link #249
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post
I agree with all of that; I just want to add that my interpretation was similar in that I think by the end Shin finally sees Noe representing Jibeta instead of putting himself in Jibeta's shoes in some sense in the previous eps.

Also, more importantly perhaps, that Raigomaru flies first on Jibeta's feelings, but then is able to give back to Jibeta by becoming his wings in some sense; much like how Noe was the reason Shin was able to fly, and at the end, she flies (walks) with Shin's feelings for her.

I think they're able to each be the reason that the other one manages to fly in the Raigomaru/Jibeta and Shin/Noe sense even though it's not really spelled out clearly what the interpretation of the former should be.
In the end, who represents who doesn't really matter all that much. One chicken chose to fly; one chicken chose to stay on the ground and look proudly ahead. The message that Noe understood from the story -- the message Shinichirou was trying to tell her -- was clear (based on the farewell scene): he believes that she can fly, if she chooses to. The entire scene hinged on that metaphor, and Shinichirou confirmed it. So... I'm not sure if either chicken was strictly-speaking one character or the other, but there were aspects of each of the two characters that applied to both of them. It's the moral of the story that's important (and even Noe herself alluded to that fact with the realization that she was missing the last page -- though that too was laced with a double or triple-meaning).

And for what it's worth... I strongly dislike the "wavers" translation. It implies that she was leading him astray, but I don't think that was what they were trying to imply. The word is more like "shakes" or "quakes", and I think that's more akin to one's heart "aching" (think about the times when you've cried, and the feeling in your heart at the time). Saying "when your heart aches" is also a more expected answer to Shinichirou's "when do you cry?" question to his father (while still being important and profound).

Shinichirou did have feelings for Noe -- she was an inspiration to him, and what enabled him to find his purpose and determination in life, and he also saw that she was in much pain though he never understood why (see the scene with Jun). He worried about her. His heart ached when he was with her because of all this, but "wavers" implies too strongly that it was lessening his feelings for Hiromi, which the show (it seems to me) has never otherwise suggested. I think the feelings Shinichirou had for Noe were strong and powerful, but different than those he had for Hiromi. But, him being torn between these two seperate sets of emotions was causing pain for both girls; he couldn't have both. This is why he could still rightfully say that Hiromi was the one he's always loved, but Noe was the one who inspired him to draw, dance, and "fly". This also ties into why I felt the confession scene after the farewell made sense. Perhaps all this is just arguing semantics, but it seems to me that the distinction is important, again in that small, subtle way that defines a lot of the show's message.

Of course, that's all just my own interpretation/opinion, and everyone's free to disagree. Whatever works for you.