View Single Post
Old 2013-05-03, 20:10   Link #722
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Let me rephrase what I posted earlier. Respect for the show or character don't get you much votes for ISML, but if you already have sufficient votes in ISML as well, it will help you keep the votes you got, no matter how you got those votes. Ami and Minori didn't have enough votes to keep them in league by 2011.

Also, in 2011, Taiga did beat Yuki and Azusa
Image noted

Similarly, you are conveniently forgetting that Taiga did this to earn her spot in phase II in 2012

Image noted

By the 2012 rules, written long time before 2012 regular season started, Yui-nyan had higher seed compared to Eucliwood since Yui-nyan lost to the winner of Nova while Eucliwood lost to the runner up. If you tell me that we manufactured Taiga's rise by predicting that Mio would 'upset' the higher seed and then do the following, I think you have too high of opinion of us

Image noted
I didn't get to reply earlier, so while waiting for results (I'll probably fall asleep first though), I might do so now.

The Toradora! name recognition I can understand. In the end Taiga gets a lot of neutral votes (aside from Kugyuu votes) because of Toradora! I am on board with that. But I do think its neutrals, not pure Toradora! fans. Because pure Toradora fans would have voted for the other Toradora characters (much like AB fans and SAO fans). Taiga is much like Eucliwood and Erio in that respect. But I guess in the end we are kinda agreeing here.

As for the ranking part, heh, I don't mean the tournament is manufactured specifically for Taiga or anything crazy like that. She just benefited from those early decisions you mentioned. Let's face it, Kuroneko beat Eucliwood in the 2012 circlet tourney, and gets rewarded by being forced into Kanade's path during the tiara tourney. Technically speaking, Kuroneko has every bit a right to claim for 2nd in the final ranking over Eucliwood, but history won't show that.

Part of that is just me being anal over how the tiara tourney wasn't handled like an official proper tourney (easiest example being a Tennis Grand Slam). Someone made mention that Kuroneko was placed in Kanade's half to avoid a repeat final in the tiara tourney (decided from before RS began, so I'm not implying some bias against Kuroneko, just that the initial call was bad in my opinion). With the Tennis GRand Slam example, imagine organisers placing Federer and Nadal to meet in the quarter-finals (and for arguments sake, we'll say they are ranked 1 and 2), simply to give more variety to the actual Grand Slam final match, instead of having the typical Federer vs Nadal repeat. That's horrible in my eyes, and that's how I see post-season 2 last year.

I also disagree with the fact that Yui was ranked higher than Eucliwood. Yui got to face Kanade exactly because she was weaker in RS, which suddenly becomes a positive thing. The obvious higher rank should've been Eucliwood, surely I can't be the only one who sees that. Even the final rankings reflect this (although I am arguing that the final ranking is moot....). So now, if this year is the same, it's much better to finish 4th in regular season than in 2nd or 3rd. Finishing 4th will provide for a better post-season 2 shot (granted, you still have to get there). Let me rephrase that, finishing 4th will provide for a better shot at winning the Tiara over finishing 2nd or 3rd. The RS ranking should have counted for more.

And I did forget those seeding results. You're right, those went Taiga's way. My only retort to that is that it was 'Seeding'. In 2011, Yuki and Azusa were finished. Taiga still had the draw of Shana. Shana beat Kanade, and those Shana fans had to vote for other characters too, isn't Taiga an obvious choice? And yes Mio beat Misaka in 2012, but again, the major draw there was Kanade vs Eucliwood. The big influx in voters had to vote for other characters too, and so everyone in the 'Seeding' matches were sloppy seconds. Is it so out there to think that some pure Misaka fans just gave up and decided to not vote? Seeding matches can't be held as high as double-elim. Now, I don't personally want double-elim since I like the '1 chance' notion, but I know that inherently screws with ranking.

And that's not even considering that Misaka was the defending tiara bearer.

The only thing you can garner accurately from the tiara tourney now is that the tiara winner deserves it. The final ranking is moot, so arguing Taiga getting better final rankings is moot. Taiga still being strong and not fading as much as others, that I'm not arguing against.