View Single Post
Old 2012-07-14, 10:31   Link #46
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomzx View Post
Its more like you people still don't understand what a Gary Stu/Mary Sue is.
You guys are basing your idea that because Kirito is not perfect, he's not a Gary Stu. The Mary sue concept is not just simple as you guys make it out to me. Often harcore 'edgy' character or 'gangster' characters can just as easily be qualified.

As I said before people conveniently ignored that a Gary Stu's role and abilities have such cancerous focus/grip on the story that it harms it to a huge degree. Pretty much All of his 'mistakes' and 'drama' in his 'backstory' are more due to other people's fault and are typical mary sueish melodramatic 'tragedy'.
The person here who doesn't understand what the term means here is you. The term "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" and the adjective "perfect" go hand-in-hand; a character that is inherently perfect does not imply, in any way, that a character is a Sue/Stu. However, it's some of those qualities that perfect characters possess that makes them Sues or Stus, which Kirito does not. One such example is a character being so extremely powerful and intelligent that they're able to predict every move every one of their opponents makes in a fight, and counter effectively and flawlessly. Of course, there's more than one definition to the term, but I'm sure you know that.

If you understand the term so well, I don't see why you simply couldn't explain, in detail, what the term means, and show how Kirito is one instead of throwing the definitions and a baseless statement or two at us.

Cancerous grip? Harms it to a huge degree? Your words mean nothing without examples/evidence. And before you say "neither do yours!" I'd like to point out that I don't know what this "cancerous grip" that has harmed the story "to a huge degree" is. The only time you presented examples, they weren't even yours, not to mention the fact that were proven invalid.

As you've evidently not read the novels, your argument is completely and utterly laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Let's make this clear: We absolutely do not see how his role or his abilities 'have such cancerous focus/grip on the story that it harms it to a huge degree'. Not in a Light Novel. It's called LIGHT for a reason. We totally understand that a REAL novel would have the protagonists as a normal man/woman doing normal things and does not particularly affect the world and proves that a man's power can only go so far, but this is for god's sake a LIGHT novel. From Japan. Exactly what the heck are you expecting, Game of Thrones kind of story?
I don't see what this has to do with it being a light novel. The main reasons light novels are called light are because of two reasons: 1) the illustrations, and 2) the target demographic.

A "real" novel? SAO is fantasy mixed with some sci-fi; the whole idea is that it's not supposed to be real. There's no such thing a "real" novel; it all depends on the genre (i.e. realism if you want to read about normal people doing normal things).
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote