View Single Post
Old 2009-04-11, 19:04   Link #65
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Actually a lot of anime series tend to get slammed for lacking in "realism" these days. I've tried to point out the same thing as you have, that anime in itself is barely realistic at it's core, but nope, sometimes people just suddenly decide a show is "unrealistic" out of the blue and start to criticize it for it. As I've said before though, if I were criticizing anime for being unrealistic and using realism as a serious measure of it's overall quality then pretty much every show out there would get a 1/10 or a 0/10 even. Basically expecting uber-realism in anime and then getting all offended when it doesn't happen is like using a strawman argument to knock a show down. If an entire form of animation is barely even trying to be realistic on average then why should it be getting knocked for a lack of it?
I don't really think I saw people complain about realism in this thread. But there are shows that should get slammed for being too unrealistic, as the shows themselves take itself too seriously. K-On! is not a show intended to be realistic, so if people are slamming it because of this, well they surely picked up the wrong anime.

My complaints are largely of the nature of being intoxicated with character interactions that I do not find particularly fun or enjoyable. I feel that it is one thing to take characters and have them act in "cute" and "funny" ways. But when a show overdoes it, as I felt they did in this episode, it quickly gets under my skin.