View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 21:33   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find it hard to believe that most anime are sold because a random consumer pulls a box off the shelf at Best Buy and decides whether to buy it based on some absurd description like the ones above. Most of the descriptions cited here, and others I've seen, appear to conceptualize the in-store retail marketplace as composed of horny fifteen-year-old boys who watch anime to see boobies and have a couple of twenties burning a hole in their pockets. In reality the market for anime in stores like Best Buy has shrunk dramatically in the past few years in favor of online retailers like Amazon, streaming from Crunchyroll, Netflix, and the like, and piracy.

I don't buy any show I haven't already watched. I see the occasional person at places like ANN talk about blind purchases, but they seem to be a distinct minority. I would think that, outside of mainstream shows like Naruto or Pokemon or Miyazaki films, few people buy anime they haven't already heard of from friends or from sites like AS and ANN.

I will admit that my days of being a horny fifteen-year-old boy are pretty far behind me, though, so maybe there are more casual purchasers than I might think?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote