View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 22:19   Link #115
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Random citizens? No. Dumbasses who openly declare they're enemies of the state with the intent to murder and pillage? As, really, helmet wearers are? That's another kettle of fish.

Especially since citizens have accepted that they live in a country where just thinking of being a sociopath can get you stunned on sight.

And we weren't really talking about the riots. We're saying that as soon as the helmets were made known to the public, they should have come down with both feet on the suckers. Someone wears a helmet, or even a papier-maché imitation? Shoot on sight. Someone's caught in proximity with a bunch of them? Stun-and-interrogate, even if they have to use stun batons on someone who hue looks like Akane's. If they'd done that, the riots wouldn't even have started.
It's a matter of time. They only had approximately 7 hours or so before the helmets became widespread. . I don't expect a society which has basically relinquished possession of old weaponry to be able to adequately respond to that quickly. Something like reprogramming all the drones would definitely not be an easy thing either I would presume.

Furthermore, even if this society is "totalitarian," it has an appearance to keep up. It can't just start shooting everybody on the streets with a helmet, they would have to give out warnings to everybody in the city first and then take action after that has been done. This is kinda hard considering people started fighting back against the helmet users to protect themselves and started rioting themselves.

Also, we have to remember that Sibyl has taken away each individual's ability to make the decision to punish others. They need confirmation from Sibyl to proceed with any action. A lot of these common citizens going crazy cannot actively just be killed, they need Sibyl's judgement for that, which currently they do not have of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Allowing helmeted lunatics to run around murdering people has caused people to turn against the government. This society already accepts occasional incidents of the police having to gun down people who HAVEN'T committed crimes because their crime coefficient went up. People aren't exactly gonna complain about gunning down vigilante mobs of murderers. Especially you know, when all the vigilante's are running around with big "SHOOT ME!" signs on their heads.
It has? It definitely is going to raise questions about the state of their society, but I think this assertion has no validity at this point. We don't know how people will react to everything Makishima is doing. Lets get there first, then talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Because systems don't just spring up intact out of the ground instantly. For the Sybil system to get entrenched the way it is now with crime being nonexistant, they'd have had to have used allot force to make it nonexistant. You can't exactly have a society that transitioned to having no organized crime unless somebody went and busted heads.

Systems that get founded based on a large part by internal force projection seldom are that eager to give up internal security powers.
What do you think all the drones do? You have a high psycho pass rating, you're done in this society. Only Makishima who is an outlier was able to contrive the scenario we have now because he could avoid detection of possible crime and proceed to build those helmets. I'm sure the country has an army of some sort and does have the force you are talking about, but this is a riot by civilians without any real weaponry - not a military force. They prboably wouldn't be the first responders to a riot.