View Single Post
Old 2013-07-30, 03:32   Link #37
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Getting fansubs up and going on iPads sounds like a hassle according to some of you here, so I'll just stream video via wifi to an iPad.
As I understand it, you basically install HD Player and its $3 codec pack. That's not hard, it just has caveats:
1) Last I heard, it can crash during complex subs (ie. OP/ED karaoke - I'd worry about complex sign subs as well.
2) Unlike most stuff you'll do on an iPad, CPU speed is very important. I'm not sure how well the A5 generation CPUs (iPad 3/mini) handle 10 bit encodes.

(I also worry that some 10 bit encodes may be less compatible than others even at 720, but I haven't heard any reports of this that didn't involve subtitle induced issues.)

Side note: despite being 4:3 rather than widescreen, a full size iPad will display a 16:9 image with a good 70% more surface area (30% larger both horizantally and vertically) than a Nexus 7 because it's a much bigger tablet.

Quote:
I'd want a 32 GB one, though.
Ewww Apple memory upgrade pricing.

Granted, Google doesn't offer a SD or MicroSD slot for expansion on the Nexus line either, but at less the memory upgrade prices are more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Maybe Android devices can fit those demands; I don't know, I've never tried. I've heard enough complaints to indicate that it's a bit of a risk, though. And unless you need to do something specifically that is difficult to do with Apple's devices, the idea that you're "locked in" and "limited" is overblown. I have these devices to get work and play done, not to waste time configuring and troubleshooting. I've been with the Apple "i-device" ecosystem for about three years now and haven't been disappointed in that regard. That I haven't had to waste any of my time or suffer glitches makes the added price premium (if you could call it that) very worthwhile.
The big issue I have with iOS being locked down is the negative impact on certain "grey" scenes - visual novel translation being the most notable to me personally. There is a VN translation scene on iOS - there's an unofficial English language patch for Steins;Gate's iOS port which doesn't require jailbreaking, for example. But it's not like I can rip the assets from select PC VNs and just run them on a compatible interpreter - because Apple's app store rules don't allow interpreters (aside from those buried deep into the app). Which is why there's a VNDS port for Android but not iOS, with the developer saying he might someday get around to makeing a iOS version... for jailbroken devices).

Hence while I don't really mind that Apple doesn't allow you to run unauthorized code by default, I object very strongly to this not being provided as an option for advanced users (unless you hack it yourself at considerably more risk). And I don't like that they inspired Microsoft to take the same approach approach for non-desktop apps on Windows 8 as well.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote