View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 11:05   Link #256
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
No one's mentioned the insanely powerful scene with the hot coffee either. From the moment Hiromi invites him over at school, through the way she urges him on in the staircase, and sits down to take his hands along with the cup, and sip the coffee, there's a roaring sexual tension. Then she goes and says "ii yo", which most likely should be interpreted as consent for having sex. She's basically so anxious to keep Shin with her that she'll throw herself at him. Luckily Shin sees through her madness and stops it, resulting in Hiromi feeling ashamed and sending him off, because it's not like her to be so ... nasty. The situation with Shin's mother has changed her, and all of Shin's affection is based on a lifetime of knowing and loving her before she moves into his home.

Er, I'm spending way too much time complaining about other people's thoughts on anime.
I just wanted to focus on this part since it's new and I agreed with the rest.

This is probably one of the best scene interpretations I've seen of this series and considering its importance I think you've done a valuable exercise by explaining the nuance so well.

On the last thought, we need more of this kind of commentary since the nuance is often hard to grasp for viewers who haven't been immersed in Japanese culture (like me :P), so there's nothing wrong with that.