View Single Post
Old 2017-04-09, 20:53   Link #657
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
With (likely) only two chapters left, I felt now was a good time to promote some of the bells and whistles I've made for this fanfic, as well as to reply in a little more detail to some of the recent reviews I've received. First, bells and whistles!

When writing my AS Specials, I tend to visually imagine it as kinda an one-cour 11-episode anime show, maybe trimmed some to fit it into 10 episodes. But I also like to imagine them as Hollywood movie extravaganzas!

With that in mind, I have two Selector Infected Shadowverse movie trailers to share with all my readers, as well as a promotional movie poster.

Here's the longer trailer:

And here's a shorter 32-second or so TV spot-like trailer, focused on recent events in the fanfic:

I hope all my readers find these trailers fun and intense! Now, finally, here's a promotional movie poster for a live-action Selector Infected Shadowverse:

Spoiler for Movie Poster!:

Hopefully all of this can get readers pumped up for the final two chapters! Also, I'd be curious to hear who AS member characters would like to have play them in a live-action movie version of SIS.

Now then, on to replying to some reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Chapter 8

--Starting off with a strong opening scene. I'd like to know who influenced you to take some good from the DCCU; I WILL FIND HIM. More seriously there's a strong sense of tension here
I have serious issues with Batman v Superman, but I've softened on Man of Steel over time. I think it's a solid superhero action movie that could have been an excellent one with a few different creative decisions. And one area where I think it's strong is its soundtrack, particularly the "I Will Find Him" soundtrack.

Quote:
--There's a subtle softness to Jinnai's dialog here where you can feel him turning around.
Yes. I should point out that his Chapter 7 and 8 arguments with Honoka were partly to soothe his own conscience, and also partly because he's a little scared of being seen in a more negative light by the only person he considers a friend. In other words, his arguments come more from a place of insecurity than from a place of arrogance.

Quote:
--Also, I'm not sure whether this was a short chapter or whether it just tighter than spandex
Well-played. And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

I basically saw that as "The Fist of Truth", "The Knee of Justice" and "The Canadian Uppercut".
Very nice, lol! I'm glad that this and Kylon Ren scene both worked well for you, Haak. I have to say, Haak, that I'm relieved you're getting something of value out of this fic, since you haven't played Shadowverse, you only watched a little bit of either WIXOSS anime, and IIRC, you haven't watched either Love Live! or El Hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotohono View Post

-The back and forth between Honoka & Jinnai was quite good and really strong for Honoka especially .

-Perfect music choice for Haak's section given his oppenent .

-Wow Umi's prudence ability is amazingly useful.
-Flavory & Akito's match was my favorite section of this chapter, it was well done overall, good dialogue and explanation of the match.
I'm very glad that all of this, and everything else you mentioned, worked well for you, Kona. And I agree that Honoka made her case exceptionally well in Chapter 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
- Nooo, a scene change before I can explain what the problem is. I wonder what it is that's so bad? I think this is the first time I've kept myself in suspense before...

Quote:
- I've never heard "Someday of my Life" before (I don't know if I've listened to any Muse songs that weren't actually featured in the anime). Great song, definitely gives the scene an exciting mood.
I'm glad you liked it! I think it's fitting for Honoka's successful persuasion here. And I also think it works reasonably well for the the rest of Super R vs. Cell in Chapter 8.

Quote:

- "First Order, huh?" replied Haak, getting geared up for a fight, "Here's my First Order for you, Ren. Get your candy ass back to a galaxy far, far away." Oh, God. I have bad news, guys - Saten isn't going to appear in Railgun season 3. With moments as awesome as this, it's pretty clear that she's going to move away from Academy City to go marry Haak.
lol!

Quote:
- Honoka asking Jinnai why he didn't consider those four to be his friends was nice; it's cute that she would hold onto and be saddened by that. Jinnai and Honoka definitely have a very interesting and well-written relationship. There's a lot of differences between them (Honoka being more empathetic and group-oriented, Jinnai more distant and independent), but there's enough common ground between them that they can usually meet in the middle and operate smoothly.
I think you're getting what I'm aiming for here, Dr. Casey. One thing I'm trying to accomplish with Selector Infected Shadowverse is to have it really feel like a fully realized big shared universe, similar to how the DC and Marvel comic universes work. And a big part of that is you have a variety of teams, and a variety of key players, and a variety of heroes and villains. And there can be differences among the heroes and among the villains. I think that all of this makes a shared universe feel very rich and vibrant and lively and kinda real. And you can also have people from one faction/team be close to people from another faction/team. You particularly tend to have the leaders of various factions be close to each other.

In the Marvel universe, key players (that are heroes) are Reed Richards, Captain America, Professor Xavier, Tony Stark, and Dr. Strange.

So the key players of AS Special-verse are now Dr. Casey, Tuxedo R, Kaname Madoka, Katsuhiko Jinnai, Honoka Kousaka, and Akuma Homura. These are the characters that truly bring everything together, and their relationships (I hope) make the fanfic feel more whole in spite of its massive crossover nature. There's now a fairly detailed special history between Jinnai and Honoka, and there's similarly a fairly detailed friendship between Homura and Umi. So the fact that there's so many different TV shows all playing into things here... I hope that's melting away some.

Just to be clear, every AS member character brings something valuable to the table. But Dr. Casey's tech, say, is something that's very convenient and better enables alliances and meeting of the minds. Honoka now has close connections to TSAB and to the puella magi and to Tuxedo R's hero crew. Jinnai is basically TSAB's representative on Earth, meaning that he wields considerable power and influence even putting aside what his Soul Gem does for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
To echo what others have said, this chapter was tense. That wasn't something I really expected, but I think it's to the story's benefit.
Agreed. With my AS Special fanfics, I aim for the first half or so (the first 5 chapters) to be pretty loose and fun-loving and zany, but for the things to get increasing serious and tense from there, to hopefully lead into a highly dramatic and satisfying climax/conclusion.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2017-04-09 at 21:13.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote