View Single Post
Old 2007-08-02, 12:53   Link #110
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

In Japan, the smart folks go into medicine. It's a highly respected profession and brings pride to the family if your child is a doctor. You get high social status and a good income. Come to think of it, I don't think doctors in the West get nearly the same respect doctors in Japan do. Many older folks still bow when they see a doctor in robes. They are called "sensei" often.

I don't think that's why Miyuki wanted to be a doctor, but it's normal for people getting top grades considering getting into medicine. I think it's a joke since she's afraid of even going to dentists office, and her boke personality surely puts many patients at risk. Hope she becomes something simple like a pediatrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There is no connection between the creator of Lucky*Star and its manga to Haruhi. There aren't any references to Haruhi in the manga, nor are there appearances by Animate_Tenchou or is there a Lucky*Channel as such. There aren't any Initial_D or Da Capo or much FMP ..... well, you get the idea. People buying the manga looking for those things will feel misled.
Well, there is a Lucky Channel in Computiq by the same author. There's a strong link between L*S and L*C; they are all created by the same guy for the purpose of providing light humor and provide advertisements. There are no real link between Haruhi and L*S other than KyoAni, but my guess is the author has very little influence in the committee.

In Japan, anime is created not by the author, but a production committee made up of people who fronted the money. Usually they are the manga/novel publisher and the animation house itself. Sometimes, if the author is well-known and/or powerful, the manga-ka gets to be on the committee and gets approval rights for the scripts. They usually do NOT. My guess is that L*S being such a low-profile manga and Yoshimizu being a young first-time manga-ka, he has very little creative control over the anime scripts. Is looks like KyoAni is doing whatever hell it wants with L*S, in coupled with a LOT of "promotional considerations" for their own and Kadokawa. Yoshimizu gets very little say in the anime, I believe.

However, that doesn't mean they won't listen to him or his opinion won't matter. I have a feeling that the manga-ka knows about these additions and, being an outted otaku in HS, I am fairly certain he's also enjoying all these odd-ball otaku references. I think if he's shocked by anything , its the non-otaku things like the dorama parody or the ED song selections. But then, most otaku would feel unease with a Kimura dorama reference and that's all KyoAni right there. Personally I saw it as brilliant, since there's a huge gulf between the otaku and the mainstream and a little cross-cultural shock therapy is always funny. Vexx-sama, how much of these non-otaku references are in the manga?

I guess that's why I enjoy L*S's cultural references so much since it's hysterical to imagine what would the J-otakus made out of these references. For example, when I wrote EP16's Cultural References, the Japanese blog where I get most of my info from actually did NOT get the reference to Beat Takeshi's Medical Horror Show; he just wrote "talking in the manner of some medical show". It's one of the best rated show in TV, but the otakus live in a different world.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-02 at 13:22.