View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 15:08   Link #182
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Lynnette View Post

And I completely disagree with Demisoda and Triple_R on what thier saying about Hiromi being the most flawed of the three girls ,I agree that she was flawed and very complex but Aiko messed up way more than Hiromi .
I don't necessarily think that Hiromi is the most flawed of the three girls.

Honestly, Aiko didn't even cross my mind much when I wrote my two most recent posts on this thread.

It was so very obvious after the first two or three episodes that Aiko wasn't going to be the romantic "winner" that I didn't put a lot of thought in evaluating her actions (i.e. there's a reason why people are talking about the love triangle in this anime rather than a standard harem ). I think the overall situation also made some viewers feel pity for Aiko since her feelings for Shin were a hopeless cause right from the start.

Ultimately, I think people have a psychologically-based disposition to be "results oriented". In other words, if Shin had actually returned Aiko's feelings for him, and the two ended up happily together with Miyokichi being dumped for good, that certainly would have put more focus (and hence criticism) on Aiko. But that didn't happen, and Aiko did in fact end up as the sincere girlfriend of Miyokichi in the end, so a lot of people take the view of "All's well that ends well". I still didn't like how Aiko handled the situation over the course of the anime, but since Miyokichi came out of it happy and Ok, it's hard for me to hold it much against Aiko.

Of the main cast, the two that had the least happy endings were the Isurugis, Noe and Jun. That's probably why Jun is given a bit of a pass. His attempts to set his sister up with Shin failed, and his resulting confession to Noe has strained their sibling bond nastily. Oh, and the guy also ended up getting his motorcycle totally wrecked for all his trouble. Jun has already paid quite a price for his actions, so it's hard for some viewers (myself included) to be critical of him.

Hiromi, OTOH, gets her happy end, and she achieved it through a pretty messy love triangle fight. I think it also bothered some people that Hiromi wasn't content to win the love triangle fight, she wanted Noe cut out of Shin's life entirely. Aiko can continue being friends with Shin in spite of romantic failures, but Noe can't? That's kind of harsh, imo.

So whereas Aiko and Jun aren't successful, and Jun even pays a significant price for his actions, Hiromi ends up getting everything she wanted. For me, it was like watching a pro sports player play hard, but also borderline dirty, and come out victorious because of it, while the equally hard working but cleaner player (Noe was admirably upfront and transparent and trustworthy about pretty much everything, imo) loses out.

Of course there is the old saying of "All's fair in love and war" so I can't hold it too much against Hiromi, but it is a factor in why I like Noe more.

As for Jun's mom... yeah, she just wasn't wrote that well, imo, and was probably one of the weakest links of the show. She overcame her issues with Hiromi a bit too easily, imo.