View Single Post
Old 2012-03-24, 12:44   Link #34
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
What I mean is that I could accept the above plotholes (although I don't think Hare's void can heal legs because they were injured for too long or something) as GC being a mediocre teen story. I know I complained about them, but looking back, I can roll with it given the quality of the story. However, the inconsistencies with the voids and Inori are the ones I have a huge problem with to this day.
The problem is that Guilty Crown started off as a science fiction-based setting that quickly became pure fantasy. Science fiction usually has fairly tight world rules that it adheres to, whereas fantasy pushes things around. Guilty Crown may have had some rules in place, but it built up the fantasy to extraordinary proportions very quickly to the point that rules were either unstated or would have become too complicated to track. The series went and did its own thing.

It certainly makes speculation and explanations from within the series more difficult and less fun, because there aren't any "world rules" to explain by. To really enjoy the series, I think you just have to let those slide. I thoroughly enjoyed the cast of characters in Guilty Crown, and think that the series is ripe for speculations and explanations about character relationships and development. While the settings and powers within the series seemingly went all over the place, the characters were a bit more concrete (although there were still some confusing points). The settings and premise of the series were fantastic and I'll admit that they drew me to the series, but the major emphasis seemed to be on the characters, instead.

I heard a lot of people equating Guilty Crown with Code Geass, and I think that set a lot of people up for disappointment. The two series were only really similar up to the first half of Guilty Crown. Whereas Code Geass thoroughly explained Lelouch's power and then went on to continue the political story, Guilty Crown was seemingly willing to forego thoroughly detailing Shu's power and left the power struggles and world setting behind, instead turned inward in its second half and examining personal philosophy and personal relationships. I think most people would agree that Code Geass had better execution overall, but contrary to their similar settings and premises I get a very different feel from each series. With Code Geass I think of the story and a few key characters; with Guilty Crown I think of Shu, a lot more characters, and how their relationships shifted throughout the series.

Someone (maybe in this thread or a different one) criticized the series for throwing in too many characters and not having an adequate length to flesh them all out. Much as I enjoyed the series, I can't find a reason to disagree with that.