View Single Post
Old 2004-11-05, 03:55   Link #14
Crowley
A-Kraze QCer

No Supportive Evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
He knew Farren was a latin reader, and yet he found that it stuck out. I don't see why any regular police detective wouldn't manage to do the same.
I don't have the episode handy, and I could be remembering something that was in the manga and got left out of the anime, but I'm pretty sure he noticed it because it didn't relate to the books in the immediate vicinity. They were history and it was latin, or some such thing. We do not know that there were no other latin books in the room, and to assume so would be incorrect because there is nothing to support the assumption. However, assuming that he would have latin books is perfectly valid given that he's taking the course and that he was reading to Schuwald. We also know that Karl kept latin books, and they would both have the same need for books. It's what students do.
Quote:
I mean I certainly assume that the police investigated the possibility that the suicide was really a murder.
Of course they would, but besides the book where's the indication that it was a murder? There was a suicide note, and there were no indications of foul play. With all the evidence pointing towards suicide, and none for murder, there would be no perceived need to pick apart his room and compare the books on his shelf. Even then, the simplest explanation is that the book was misplaced. Again, no reason for a police investigator to go through the book page by page.
The saving grace of the story is that Richard is not just a crime scene investigator, he's a paid private investigator. He was hired specifically to look into these people. This would be his highest priority job at the time, and being paid privately, he would be inclined to investigate every little tiny thing, even books misplaced on a shelf.
To the point, everything was in Johan's favour. Even if they had found the book, and looked for any other evidence of a murder, there is nothing shown to us to indicate that Johan would need to pay any special attention to the book. Even with the book there was no further evidence of foul play, and, most importantly, nothing to connect Johan with the event. The book is a very minor concern for Johan. If he had known that there was a PI dedicated to investigating people connected with Schuwald I'm sure he would have done something about the book, but there was no reason for Johan, with what limited information he had, to bother removing the book.

Last edited by Crowley; 2004-11-05 at 04:02. Reason: typo