View Single Post
Old 2012-09-14, 02:01   Link #45
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

In my experience, while there can be a good dub, there is no way in hell it can ever surpass the original language.

I used to watch the animated Disney movies dubbed. I had no problem with those, actually thought they were good, and they were pretty much the only version available in my area. Then Aladdin came along. I had the sheer fortune to find out that they were showing a subbed version in my city, and since I had already seen the dubbed version and liked the movie, I thought I'd give the original a try as well. The moment I came out of the theater, my life was changed forever. I liked the subbed version a LOT more and never went back to see a dubbed version of any upcoming Disney movie again.

Later, they started showing cartoons I used to like a lot in their original language, dubbed. It instantly ruined everything I liked about the shows for me and while I managed to get used to some of the dubs, never did I think they were better than the original. With this past experience in mind, I don't think anyone will ever get me to like dubbed anime as much, if not more than the original, subbed version, especially since I've grown accustomed to the Japanese version (even if I don't understand it without subtitles).

IMO, the fact that a lot of people prefer dubs is a sign that they keep clinging to their childhood, back to a time where they weren't fully capable of reading (subtitles) yet and had to rely on their ears to understand what was going on. I think it's pure laziness and unwillingness to move past these childhood memories that they don't give subs the credits they deserve.