Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 20:01   Link #1164
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The problem here isn't that we don't see much of Hero's story. It's that we know nothing about the demon world and its problems, so the viewers don't care about what he's up to. And therein lies the main weakness of this show: there hasn't been enough good exposition to sell the world, and selling the world is a vital part of the story. We find out quite a bit of information about the human world: the power politics, food situation, commerce, social structure, and so forth. Demon King's efforts interweave with all of these elements, and we get an idea of the stakes involved. What about the demon world? Almost nothing - not the power situation, society, not even anything about normal demons.
The first ep tells us that the Demons aren't so diffrent from the Humans. They too would fall into warring amongest themselves with out a strong enemy that forced them togeather under a strong leader. The Demons are generly in better shape as they have had Maou directing the from a position of power for an unspesified amout of time. It is reasonable to belive that Maou has the Demons as far as she can get them with out an outside influnce. This is likely why she is working on the less powerful southen kingdoms as they are the most likely to benifit from a lasting peace and Ep 1's intro hints it was the northen/central Kingdom that started the war. Currently Hero only has 2 tasks Find Witch Girl and Strongarm the clans that are starting to get out of line. Both of those are pretty well covered by the letters he has sent so untill he runs across a issue he can't solve by bashing it with a stick I don't realy expect to see it in depth.

Quote:
I'm being a bit picky here, but I really question the premise behind sustaining the war as related by Demon King. Generally, famines happen when there are local shortages of food from temporary causes, but she's talking a global shortage, and a continual one at that. A continual global shortage of food means that there are too many people for the land to sustain across the entire human world. The only possible outcome is that people die off (and very quickly) until it drops to sustainable levels. In this kind of scenario, the human nations wouldn't have the capacity to survive, much less be able to wage war.
It's not so much the land can't sustain the people it's that there aren't enough people with the required knowlage to grow enough food for everyone once the population is no longer being culled by war. It is also not a global shortage as the only areas that do have large shortages are in the southern lands that have poor soil and short growing seasons. The corn was to be used to allow setlement in areas that were too barren to grow the staple grain crops not to combat food shortages directly.

Quote:
The overall idea of solving the problem through increased food production is a bit wonky as well. During the Medieval era, subsistence food production is strictly a local affair since it's impossible to transport vast quantities of food across large distances. And thus adding a corn crop in the north will do very little to help people starving in the south. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of interesting ideas in the show, but they're just not developed as well as I'd like.
Grains, Corn and Tubbers all are both very easly transported and last a long time frame before spoiling. Dryed corn (think unpoped popcorn) for milling can last for years.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
click to play
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote