Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 09:24   Link #20875
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Chinese leaders' salaries are not extravagant and there have been questions about how Bo managed to fund the expensive Western schooling and lifestyle for his son, Bo Guagua, who also studied at Oxford university and is enrolled at Harvard. Bo said in March the schools were funded by scholarships.
If true, I doubt the scholarships were provided by the universities involved. Foreign students now attend America's more prestigious private colleges and universities in record numbers, and few if any of them receive scholarship aid. My daughter attends one of the "Seven Sisters" women's schools and has some Chinese friends. (Foreign students now make up about 20% of the enrollment at her college.) The ones I know of come from wealthy families and receive no scholarship aid whatsoever. Enrolling wealthy foreigners who pay full tuition and fees frees up scholarship aid for domestic students. Most of these schools pursue a "need-based" scholarship approach for American students so that middle-class families can afford to attend these colleges where tuition and fees now total well over $50K per year.

Quote:
The Bo Xilai scandal has been bubbling in the background for several months now. To me, the point of interest is that it has barely been mentioned here in the News thread. A shadowy power struggle on this scale has not happened in Beijing for a while and, yes, it makes for some very gripping drama with several far-reaching implications for Chinese politics.
I keep hearing about these "far-reaching implications," but I've yet to really see what they might be. Yes, Bo was ousted, and yes, he was an up-and-coming power in the CCP, but there must be an array of others waiting in the wings. Certainly a scandal of this magnitude is an enormous embarrassment to the Party, but will it change the balance of power among Party factions in some way? Won't it be easy to simply blame all this on Bo's inability to "control" his wife and not really challenge any of the basic ruling principles of the CCP?

I guess I could see these events leading to a greater exposure of corruption in the top echelons of the Party, but don't most informed Chinese citizens know that such corruption exists already? It might also highlight the growing economic divide between rich and poor and urban and rural Chinese, but, again, those trends should be fairly obvious as well. I'm obviously not talking about the vast bulk of Chinese living in rural areas whose lives have hardly changed in the past few decades. But the disparities between wealth and poverty in the cities is not something that's easy to conceal.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-16 at 09:38.