View Single Post
Old 2008-01-09, 17:16   Link #146
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Given the recent chatter about this series, I decided to check out the first episode. My first impression? I'm a bit lost. I understand the broad outline of Horo being some kind of fertility wolf goddess, but if I had not read elsewhere, I wouldn't have understood the bargain she supposedly strikes with Lawrence.

The animation and artwork were bland. Didn't catch my attention. The OP was sweet. I'd give points for the effort put into the ED (especially the illustrations), but unfortunately, it's hard to like something sung in mangled English (I'd really like to encourage Japanese are trying their best to speak English, but *sigh*).

I don't like the fanservice. I find novel's premise really interesting, for most of the same reasons Vexx has pointed out, but why does Horo have to appear in the form of a naked 15-year-old girl? Adding a nubile wolf-girl -- equipped with standard-issue animal ears and tail -- to draw in readers doesn't sound like a genuine effort at creating a unique character. It sounds instead like a cynical marketing ploy to draw in your targeted audience. I am more likely to respect writers who do not pander to their market; writers who dare to challenge convention. But then, I haven't read the novels, so I'm aware that I'm passing unfair judgement. After all, he is a prize-winner, so there must be something more in the novel other than fanservice.

Since I don't understand very much Japanese beyond basic conversation, I couldn't catch Horo's supposedly endearing accent. Yes, she's cute. But that's the intention, isn't it? So, no surprises about future sexual tension between her and the male lead. (*yawn*)

Lawrence sounds too young for the role. I don't like it, and I have a feeling I won't get used to it very soon. Looking at his character design, the first "voice" that came to my mind is Yuto Nakano, who played Ginko in Mushishi.

All gripes aside, it's only the first episode, so yes, it's too soon for me to judge how this series will turn out. I hope it lives up to the light novel's premise though.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote