Thread: Nintendo Wii
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-11, 17:41   Link #55
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
Wii > X-box 360 > PS3

the PS3 is just too expencive to buy when it comes out. leading to the Wii supassing it in sales. and with a new controler, cheaper price, and the ability to DL any previous Nintendo game ever made will make the Wii the most successful 256 bits system.
See, here's the thing about prices though. If you look back, there have been several consoles that were released in the past that, if you include inflation into the calculation, would be quite expensive if they were released now (I'll try to find the link to that if I can). With that being said, is the PS3 an expensive system? Oh heck yeah. $599 (probaly $699 for me up here in Canada... ) is quite a bit to plop down for a console, especially looking at its current library of launch titles...Heavenly Sword looks pretty good, but it's a launch window game really.

With that being said, the Wii has a lot of potential. It's lower price point will make it a very attractive buy, and there will probably be a lot of people who decide to pick it up as a secondary console next to their Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. And yes...I do believe that to be the case, the Wii will probably be a secondary system to many people (well, for those that plan to only get two systems anyways), but I'm sure that there will be some people who consider it their primary system. Nintendo's definitely got a good shot with the Wii of obtaining a higher market share than they did with the GCN (not a difficult task imho) since a lot of previous 'non-gamers' will be more willing to pick up that system over a 360 or PS3 (kind of like with the DS and games like Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc), but they still probably have to shake the 'kiddy games' image that they have with the central gamer market. Yes, the GCN definitely had some non-kiddy games like RE4 and Killer 7, but there are far too many people who think of the company as one who targets their little brother/sister more than them.

In the end, I still feel that the next-gen console "war" will end up looking the same as it is now. The Sony brand simply has too much pull with the Asian market, even though they are getting somewhat screwed with only 100,000 consoles in Japan at launch, but the 3rd party support is there, unlike with the 360. The Wii seems like it has a strong developer backing now, but that depends on how well the system and its games are received in general. If it starts to falter, we could see developers jump ship ala the GCN, though let's hope it doesn't happen. In the end, I still feel Sony will come out on top, though most likely less dominant than they were during the PS2 era, with both MS and Nintendo gaining ground on them in the market share department.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote