View Single Post
Old 2009-09-18, 10:43   Link #378
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

The idea is actually not figuring out "if it is a witch or a human", but simply sticking on your conviction, then elaborating the arguments behind your own premise.
Basically: it isn't because there are witches that Magic exists in the real world of Umineko. Plain and simple.
The way that sounds is as if I should have faith in my beliefs in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Kinda like Christopher Columbus trying to convince the queen of Spain that the earth is round. Don't get my wrong, I believe that everyone should have their own convictions of how the world works but should always remain open to new points of view. There is a clear distinction between convictions and faith, I believe that faith is detrimental to human awareness.

How am I supposed to stick to my own convictions during the second killing of Kanon or Shanon when you can clearly see shameless acts of magic that resemble Sailor Moon? Battler is never present during those acts because he would be completely overwhelmed by the facts and be forced to give up. It is the same with the red letters, Battler explicitly said to Beatrice not to mention magic when she is explaining the murder scenes because they would "appear" as truth.

To me it seems that all this "irrational" story telling would become clear in the following episodes. However, I believe that the author made a huge mistake by not making explicit but rather subtle connections between where the story is heading and the objective of the anime. Subtleties are too vague and will always mislead many in the wrong direction, which in point becomes detrimental to the anime because many people will just turn away from it. I might be an exception because instead of running away I sought help in understanding what is going on by coming to this forum, but many other people won't even bother.

PS. Yes I am trapped in premise that this would be a completely different type of anime, but I don't think it is my fault. The anime was very explicit during the first 6 episodes and it seemed very clear where it was heading. Obviously, the author wanted to try something new so he just turned the world upside down for the sheer joy of watching his views go "WTF".