View Single Post
Old 2012-12-17, 10:02   Link #266
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I really enjoyed this movie. I do have one minor complaint, though it's mostly a personal nitpick and isn't something unique to this film: humorous moments that either break the fourth wall or just come across to me as out of place within the setting and pointed directly at the audience. Moments that really emphasize "this is a movie" instead of feeling like naturally occurring events. I am totally fine with stupid dwarf antics and Gandalf hitting his head on the chandelier, but some moments felt pretty awkward to me. As an example:

Spoiler for just in case I guess:

I know this was supposed to be more light-hearted than the previous films but it's somewhat off-putting for me to see this kind of thing done with characters and a world that I don't feel really had it before. (Yeah, Legolas shield-surfing was pretty weird but I don't think even that stood out as much as this.)

Of course, if these moments were actually in the book and I just forgot about them (it's been over 10 years since I read it), please feel free to disregard this post.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote