View Single Post
Old 2011-04-24, 04:43   Link #823
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
In a perfect world yes, he would come to our planet and adhere to our sense of morality. But he doesn't, and it's understandable why; whether or not Incubators really were superior (there's no denying their technological superiority, but overall superiority is debatable), he believes them to be superior--and if not that, at least more important. This doesn't give him any rightful authority to spit on humanity's rights, and I still haven't said any such thing, nor have I said that he has any right to enforce his morals upon others. I keep getting the impression that we're arguing under the assumption that I agree with Kyubey here; stop putting words in my mouth, please.

That Kyubey is evil in the sense of our own morality is unquestionable; I'm losing the ability to count the number of times I've said this on one hand. But by his own alien morality he is not evil; accounting for the fact that this is a legitimate fact is not a difficult concept. We keep arguing that he has to be evil but in doing so we keep coming back to him being evil being reliant upon adhering to human morality; if your argument is simply that in the scope of human morality he is evil then we can stop right now, since there I agree with you fully.

It is that him being evil by human morality somehow makes him evil in the grand scheme of things that I disagree with. This doesn't make his actions better, not at all. But that he lacked malicious intent in doing what he did--and in fact had benevolent intent, for whatever reason--is a relevant point to make. And it is exactly that point that draws the line between him being fully evil and him being evil by human morality.

I feel like I'm beginning to repeat myself here. =/
See, my problem is you actually believe it is relevant at all if QB think he is evil or not.

Intent has nothing to do with with the outcome. His actions are evil, it doesn't matter what he feels about it.

Here are the facts; very few people who ARE evil, believe they are. So if you think it only matters if QB think he is evil, you are going in the completely wrong direction.

Do I have to invoke Godwin's Law here or what?

Do you have any idea how many evil men feel justified doing what they do? Do you have any idea how rare it is that any criminal think they are in the wrong?

"QB doesn't think he himself is evil" is not an argument for anything.