View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 01:40   Link #27
Who

Faced some resentment at work today. Was introducing myself to my co-workers, and they asked if I was Chinese. I told them I that I'm Korean, and their attitude changed almost immediately. Long story short, they view me as inferior now. They're still civil when I'm in the vicinity, but I overheard some not so nice things when my back was turned.

Another recent occurrence was a few weeks ago when I was looking for housing off-campus for next semester. We got denied housing because one of my friends was white and the landlord said that "white people always destroy the house, so I can't rent it to him at all." He told my other friend and I that we could stay (the landlord and my friend are Chinese; I just kept my mouth shut). The white friend was in shock for a while since it was the first time in his life that he'd ever been discriminated against and he didn't know how to take it.

I treat people I don't know equally, and most of my acquaintances as well. I save the racist remarks for those who know me best, since we're all close friends (i.e: they get burgers at a restaurant and they try and order dog meat for me; I gave one of my black friends gardening tools for his birthday with a card saying "it's to help you pick my cotton better") and we won't get offended by one another.

Edit:
Oh jeez, I just realized this thread got necroposted extremely hard by the guy above me.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote