View Single Post
Old 2010-06-21, 09:05   Link #246
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
When he fails and is left by himself in his small room, he often asks the question: 'where is the one responsible?' He never admits his own failures as a person, whether it is with his indecisiveness (another form of cowardice) or just cowardice. We believed he made some progress by admitting it was his fault in the Honwaka episode, but he backtracked more than he moved forward, especially by alienating the only person who has shown uncorrupted concern for him in the previous episodes.

It's all up to him now.
Which is the foundations of my doubts. We have rarely ever seen Watashi act on his nobler morals, as they are usually blocked by his cowardice. Even more so, we have seen this episode that he can act on his less-moral desires, and can become quite successful through them. He even thinks for a while that he is approaching his "rose-coloured capus life." Fortunately, Akashi literally slaps some sense into him, and Higuchi brings him to realization that he was on the wrong path.
So unaided, Watashi can attain corrupted happiness much easier than he can attain the pure happiness that Ozu aquires easily. Why? Because pure happiness requires risk. We have seen that in all the insane things that Ozu has done over the two years. Attacking students with fireworks, technically illegally "cleaning up bikes," hijacking a blimp; all these things have plenty of risks with the law and personal safety, which Ozu is able to risk. Watashi cannot do these things on his own, and must have Ozu help him (though it's usually him helping Ozu) in doing them.
In order for Watashi to gain pure happiness, he must be able to risk something, which goes against almost everything we've seen of him. Which is why I doubt a happy end for him. I wish him the best though.

Either way, I'll still be satisfied with this show's brilliance. Definitely picking this one up on hard copy.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote