Thread: Licensed Sukitte Ii na yo
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 16:27   Link #174
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I loved the walking home together scenes. The fact that they were repeated made me feel comfortable, and cemented the fact that they were a couple. I especially loved the long silences and the sunset. Hopefully by next episode Mei will start allowing herself to get closer to Yamato, at least to the extent of using his name. Sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I think she was just trying to get Yamato to model with her. I don't feel any other more insidious ulterior motives from her other than the modeling gig.

By my count, Mei's final sentence was the first time she called Yamato "Yamato" even in her thoughts. So her growing fear that she might lose Yamato has done some good by pushing her beyond her natural reticence into a growing recognition of how much he's come to mean to her.
Megu (Kotobuki Minako) seemed to come on to Yamato so quickly that my first thought was the same: that she was just looking for a model. But I'm not so sure. Maybe she just wants to have the best-looking boyfriend possible. That was Yamato's take.

And why didn't I notice that Mei started inwardly thinking of Yamato by his name at the end? I guess he found a way to make her start doing that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00
OK...the show was really laying it on thick with how the model girl (is that Minako Kotobuki?) and Yamato looked SO good together. Every single outside observer was fanboying/fangirling over them, so I really got tired of it. I think one general weakness of this show is how poorly they portray everyone who isn't the main or secondary characters or people close to them. They just tend to be shallow, lame individuals there to make Mei feel bad.
The laying it on thick was to give us Mei's feelings, not just "oh, Mei must feel bad," but by repetition to actually make us feel like her. I think that's how shoujo works, in part: to make you feel things, not just think them.

I think I may agree with your second point, but I'm not sure how many other shows give much depth to their "mob" characters (as they are called in Japanese). Their roles are, or should be, only in relation to the main characters. In this case, the classmates and staff are like a Greek chorus, commenting on what's going on. I understand how artificial it may seem, but for me it worked here. And I don't feel this show portrays these people so negatively -- at least compared to some other shoujo titles, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote