Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-16, 22:54   Link #4674
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
And here he lets loose what this is about: East versus West. It has ZERO to do with religion. (And it's pretty funny to call Christianity, itself, Western. Most of its claimed practitioners, yes. The religion itself?). I'm really curious as to what definition of "exclusive" he was using, though. He's wrong any way it's taken, though using some of those claimed practitioners as examples it certainly wouldn't seem that way at times.

Unfortunately, these clashes have been going on for a long, long time, and religion has just been the excuse used by either side to perpetuate the culture war. Many Christian missionaries felt the need to indoctrinate converts in their western ways, and many converts were even more enthusiastic about adopting them, or, worse, trying to convert their fellow countrymen by force. Add in some political upheaval that will naturally be sparked by outside influences in such a top-down government and social system and the fear (perceived or real) of proselytization being used to prepare for foreign conquest... Well, they may have boiled folks in Kyuushuu for being Christian, but I think it's pretty clear there was more to it than mere religious differences.

But it wasn't just Christianity. Buddhism, Confucianism, and, to an extent, varying flavors of Shinto have similar historical examples. And none of them were really about religion.

No, Mr. Ozawa is simply a man who has a mindset that his East and the outside West are utterly divided, and blaming the religion is an easy, blanket explanation to justify his prejudice.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.