View Single Post
Old 2012-06-26, 19:46   Link #6
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
... "deep packet inspection" puts an ISP at risk of running afoul of privacy/wiretap laws if its run broad-spectrum. Its also hugely expensive.
Lets not find shelter in this idea since technology is moving target. I still remember when I heard for the first time a song with vocals played on a computer, it was a 10 second sample of She Blinded Me With Science. Back then it would have been quite optimistical to think someday people would hear music only on their computer powered gadgets since ti would require *gasp* 40 mhz or maybe more of procesing power. I think we have reached the peak size of single files (1080p video is not getting bigger, it is even getting a trim with 10bit) and I have already read a year or two ago about procesors with 100+ cores for the near future. In the years to come the USA congress might (yet again) do some legislation on privacy/wiretap laws and deem DPI to be fully legal (and we all know what will happen when the supreme court hears about it, they will clap with both hands).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote