View Single Post
Old 2012-07-19, 23:19   Link #326
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
oh WOW I actually had no idea.

That makes sense...he directed Utena......of course he wants a main yuri pairing in Sailormoon too.
Seems a little fanboyish to me. "I don't like the author's male character so I'm putting what could be interpreted as yuri subtext in for Usagi"
Really?
No wonder Naoko-sensei hates the anime! XD
A few things here:

Firstly, he directed Sailor Moon R, S and Super S before he directed Utena. It can be argued that the roles of Saionji, Touga and Akio in Utena can be traced back to his dislike of classic tall dark and handsome shoujo male romantic leads like Mamoru (And to be fair, who can blame him? Mamoru's first kiss with Usagi wasn't at all consensual).

Secondly, I doubt very much that Naoko hated the anime. She may have disliked that the anime killed off all the senshi at the eld of the first season and that she wasn't given enough artistic freedom to do her own thing with the manga but if I remember correctly; Naoko is very liberal about her own characters and believes that different romantic and characteristic interpretations are just as valid as her own.

Thirdly, as for Ikuhara-sensei being a yuri fanboy...
Quote:
Q: Ikuhara-san, Utena and Sailor Moon are two of the most popular anime amongst yuri fans. Do you intentionally include shoujo-ai subtexts in your work?
A: No. I'm still able to make a story where it's between a boy and a girl. But I feel irritated to see my girl getting together with some other guy. I've tried to kill off Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon many times. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, he gets resurrected so I only get angrier. So I decided it would be way better if the girl just didn't have a boyfriend to begin with. Of course I'm just kidding. In reality, if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show. And that would be an interesting element, but I wouldn't want that to make that the scene-stealer of the show. Most other shoujo shows are in that direction. It's about who-and-who are getting together, or who-and-who are breaking up. I thought it would be a loss if that would be the big motif just because a girl was the main character. I think there could be more shows with other motives than that
http://uranime.nekomusume.net/misc/i...terview.iphtml

^^ That interview is a goldmine of funnies.

Personally I have mixed feelings about Ikuhara not directing the new series. On one hand; Ikuhara at the director's wheel is an absolute promise of quality, but on the other hand I do feel that someone else deserves a chance with the franchise.

Also Penguindrum had three canon straight pairings and the more classic shoujo romance lead (Kanba) was treated with a great degree of dignity and sympathy, so even if Ikuhara was directing the new series I'm fairly confident we'd see a developed Mamoru, as it seems his man hating days are well over.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.