View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 22:24   Link #41
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Amusingly, it's the opposite here. Psycho-pass is a show i sort-of watch, as well as Sasami-san, but in both cases i only watch them when i am bored to tear.

Especially Psycho-pass seems like a dumbed down and 'for kid' version shinsekai yori (but in cyberpunk!), with atrocious pacing issues.

I guess i like the 'novel' format better than the "episodic format where everything is dumb for plot reasons".
I'll admit that when I first read your message I was offended. I only lightly skimmed it and had a minor knee-jerk reaction when I saw the words "dumbed down" and "dumb." At first I thought you were accusing me of liking "dumb" things. Then I paused and actually read your message, and I must say that I somewhat agree

Comparing Psycho-Pass (which is a "popcorn" show for me) to Shinsekai Yori is like comparing apples to oranges. I would disagree that the one is like a "for kid" version of the other because they're in no way similar. One is based on a pre-existing successful fantasy/sci-fi novel while the other is an anime original. The characters, setting, intent, and tone of the two cannot be compared.

That being said, I do normally prefer shows like Shinsekai Yori in terms of its format. Episodic series usually aren't my thing at all which is why my preference at the moment for the three other shows I mentioned is so surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Then perhaps you should adjust your expectations? Also, you're comparing anime originals to an adaptation of a novel...

Pacing issues? Wow... you do understand why they're out there, what they're doing and what they've discovered, and that this is going to be very important later on... right? (Also that gliding over snow is pretty much the only way they can get around, I mean what do you want them to do, fly?) If you want by-the-numbers anime writing where every episode has to be a story on its own with a hook so people keep watching then this is not the show for you.

Yes, I would agree that I should adjust my expectations. I just didn't expect to have to do that with this show since it started out so very strong. Please don't misunderstand what I said though. I'm not comparing Shinsekai Yori to anything because that would be silly. I was merely using those other three shows to illustrate how Shinsekai Yori has fallen in terms of priority for me. Considering all three of those shows I mentioned are pretty much like popcorn (fun, shiny, but not very substantial) it came as a shock to me. As Shinsekai Yori was the single show I was most looking forward to last year it stands to reason that I would be surprised to find myself no longer eagerly, constantly-refreshing-the-page looking forward to each new episode. That's all.

Also, and I hesitate to say this, but I do not appreciate the insinuation that I want a "by-the-numbers anime […] where every episode has to be a story on its own with a hook so people keep watching" show. Not only was that rude but it was also uncalled for. As far as I know these forums allow for free speech, do they not? I was merely expressing my surprise and disappointment that I'm not enjoying the show as much as I once did. Considering that this is the sub-forum to discuss Shinsekai Yori I thought it would be all right to share my feelings here.

Oh well. To each their own.