View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 22:24   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I know this is not a Madoka discussion thread but hey I believe this is relevant to the subject. I mean hey, if one can simply dismiss Madoka as simply "popular" and doesn't qualify as a masterpiece then I don't know what people are exactly looking for in a masterpiece. It's got tons of awards and garnered so much critical praise. What else are we looking for here? Again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpiece

"Masterpiece (or chef d'œuvre) in modern usage refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill or workmanship."
The argument is that Madoka Magica lacks universality.

But I disagree with that argument... at least where it actually matters.

It's true that Madoka Magica has a very specific target demographic. But when Zac Bertchsy write things like this about an anime, it's doing more than just pleasing otakus.

The fact is that Madoka Magica explores a lot of different ideas and themes. In its own distinct way, it explores the human condition, and its poses some pretty universal philosophical questions ("Is there anything truly worth risking your life for?" "Is there anything worth sacrificing for?" "When faced with a dangerous person that seems impossible to negotiate with, should you try a diplomatic route anyway, or should you try to stop that person by force of arms?")

When you combine that with the overall quality of the work, I think it comes as close to a masterpiece as any other anime that's aired in the last two or three years. To me, it's a masterpiece. Time will tell if it is an "objective masterpiece" (as Pocari Sweat puts it), but it's certainly looking good so far, imo.