View Single Post
Old 2007-03-25, 19:28   Link #47
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Wouldl it matter if it was an external hard drive? I was abusing my external hd. It was running for nearly 4 months of straight disk writing. Also, there are no file fragments on the external hd. whoopeee

I think my internal hd failed on me because I defragged it like 8 times that day and might have strained itself in the process. [the effects was quite good too. my old computer was running almost 70% faster. shame]

I can configure how much ram I use, but would it still matter when I am using an external hd dedicated for downloads? I have crappy virtual memory less than 800 mb so it sucks T__T
Well using preallocation and caching (even small caches like 15Mbyte can help significantly), reduce random writing very much. So this doesn't stress the hdds too much.

...8 times defragmented. That sounds a little bit like overkill to me. Nah I don't do disk defragmenting. (Well I use a lazy defragmenting heh, I copy all files on a free secondary hdd, beginning with the Windows system directory stuff. After this I change the drives in the PC. Finally some recovery console fixboot/fixmbr, and the thing runs like new. If everything runs fine, I format the "old" drive (copying... writes files sequential)).

But storing you torrentr to an external disk is a good way to outsource it from the system drives.
Btw. is your external hdd USB1.x or USB2.0? If it is 1.x I would not be very concerned about stressing the hdd, USB 1.x usually is too slow to really stress a hdd. With USB 2.0 things are different.