View Single Post
Old 2008-09-09, 10:57   Link #2010
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
They are both apparently servicing Nvidia components, so I guess it's not a malicious software problem. Still, there use to be only one rundll32.exe. This still bothers me a bit.
You can have multiple instances of rundll32.exe just like you can any other process. The executable itself is used to run several different things that are themselves DLL files. The reasons why are technical, but suffice to say that many Windows components are provided as DLLs rather than their own executables. Open up the Add/Remove Programs menu and you'll see another instance of it open.

The only question is what's being run that requires it to be open. If you hadn't already identified the use of them, I'd say kill those processes and see what stops. No need for that now, of course.

Some viruses/trojans/what-have-you (mostly older ones) disguised themselves with similar image names, so just to be on the safe side, update and scan with your anti-virus software. (If your anti-virus software is the home edition of Norton or McAffee, switch to something else, like AVG, Trend Micro, or Kaspersky. If it's not *your* PC to be able to change the software on, just scan with Trend Micro HouseCall.)

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote