Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-09, 05:11   Link #4962
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
In all seriousness, that you are able to do all of that is a great quality (maybe not seen as such where you live though, but true in many other places)
I wouldn't be surprised by it tbh. On my first year at uni, I was living in university halls, and there were two guys (uncluding me) and two girls. Nobody on the whole flat was cleaning up after themselves, sometimes leaving their things behind for weeks, and I ended up doing everything. So it's not always the case that women are better than men in terms of housework. It's a social anxiom that was placed in the olden days. Women are stereotypically seen as the better cooks, but I have not seen a single professional female chef to date. They were all men. That's just an example tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Two common answers to that:

- In France, a lot of couples can't live properly with only one salary (yeah, the number of poor people get bigger and bigger), so the woman has to find a job.

- As I said to you yesterday, some men (I know a friend that have parents in this case) ask if not compel their wife to find a job for more money, but don't help her with the houseworks, and if she refuses, she's seen as useless because the housewives have no definite status here in France.

- Because the woman wants to prove something as you said? I guess it's true, but i think it's way less common than the reason (1)
First reason is pretty true, but either way, the woman is depressed because if she doesn't have a job, there's not enough money to go around and in the second case, sometimes she'll hardly have time for anything else. So it's a double-edged sword, although as you said, it is pretty common.