View Single Post
Old 2017-04-04, 11:46   Link #3590
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One iconic feature of anime is its preoccupation with power lines and power poles. In my experience this goes back to Evangelion with its lingering shots of poles and wires. As the Tokyo Olympics looms, however, those poles may be a thing of the past. The Japanese government intends to put all the overhead cables in Tokyo underground by 2020 and is forcing the utilities like TEPCO, NTT, and DoCoMo to pony up a share of the costs.

Only seven percent of Tokyo's power lines are underground with an even smaller share in Osaka. For Jakarta and Seoul the figure is 35-40 percent; in London and Paris, 100 percent.

Images
for size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

When I'd see these shots of power poles in anime, I thought the rapid postwar development of Japan after World War II was one likely reason. It was faster and cheaper to put up poles and wires if you're trying to expand utility services as quickly as possible. The video in the Bloomberg article below makes that same point.

The governor of Tokyo, Koike Yuriko, has been a particularly outspoken critic of the Japanese power grid, less for its unsightly appearance and more for the threat it poses should a major earthquake hit her city.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...task-for-tepco

That is terrible....those power lines are iconic not just of Japanese towns but East Asian ones everywhere. Just like neon bill boards and old electric trains. They have been vanishing everywhere and now Japan too...? if it's not a safety threat, they should stay IMO (like in smaller towns and such with less people)