View Single Post
Old 2009-04-03, 14:06   Link #20
Taken

Once in a few seasons, something great comes along. Some that I can remember really well are Code Geass, Honey and Clover and FMA. I am glad that Toradora adds to that list of unforgettable anime.

Animation Quality: 9,
I got to say many times it looks like JC Staff is running on a tight budget. But there are quite a number of scenes that have high quality hues and colors.

Voice Actors: 9,
I got to say the emotions are very well captured and they have done their job really well. I think Horie Yui and Rie Tanaka did a wonderul job. Kugimiya Rie-chan unfortunately is still being utilized as a loli character in this series.

Script: 9,
It kinda felt very linear in the first 11 episodes, then they threw a curved ball that is Minori. Kitamura's arc was surprising well-written even though they clearly didn't have enough episodes to do it justice. But I guess the title did give the ending away some what. So it's a 9, I guess.

Soundtrack: 9.5
The first OP and ED played towards a cute comedy romance. The second OP and ED played for more drama in the series. Second ED "Orange" was most enjoyable while second OP "Silky heart" gives a hint of things to come for Minori. (and made Yui-chan looks ridiculous in the PV haha). Half of the OST actually have some delightful tracks with Track 1 "Start up" and Track 21 "Lost my pieces" standing out in critical scenes.

Enjoyment: 10
It's a joy to wait and watch the show. Anticipation always adds to the enjoyment especially towards the end. Since the story doesn't disappoint at all. Lots of metaphors and symbolism in the show to make it rather poetic.

Emotional Involvement: 9.5
The reason why I gave it 9.5 is that I watch Fruits Basket after Toradora to fill my time and that series made me cried "basketloads" haha. Toradora though did get me teary some places. I always rooted for Minori in the show because she really reminds me of someone I know in real life. It's one of those shows that still keeps stirring in your head long after you watched it. I think the forum numbers for Toradora speaks for itself.

Overall series rating: 9.5 => 10 (rounded off)
This series is really good and I think it approaches greatness, that is Honey and Clover. Like Honey and Clover the characters are never 1 or even 2D. Each characters have been fleshed out pretty well (unlike Clannad season 1, hehe). I believe any minor complains could perhaps be blamed on budget and the plan to actually finish the series in 25 episodes. I do believe it somewhat shortchanges the novel (though I didn't read them all).

Well, it's really hard to let go something this good and hopefully something can fill the void that was Toradora. Here's hoping something good/better comes along soon.

Last edited by Taken; 2009-04-03 at 21:35. Reason: Clarification.. hehe