View Single Post
Old 2009-06-14, 19:35   Link #75
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
Kamui4356's: how to prevent Joe from having that cancer in the first place.
That's not quite accurate. I also want to have it discovered as early as possible. If it's discovered early, the cancer may be successfully treated with one round of chemo, as opposed to 2 or 3, and will have a higher survival rate. That way it both reduces costs and Joe there is more likely to live.

As to rich people having a much higher survival rate: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582457

"Among patients living in the highest socioeconomic quartile, the 3-year observed survival rate was 59.9%, compared with 48.8% for patients in the lowest quartile."

That article had the clearest numbers, but there are lotsof others that reach the same conclusion. 11.1% is a rather signifigant difference. I'd also point out that socioeconomic factors are attributed as the leading factor to different survival rates depending on race.

Also, http://www.cbcrp.org/publications/pa...er/page_15.php

This one suggests that much of the difference in breast cancer survival rates is due to the more affluent having it diagnosed sooner, thus starting treatment at an earlier stage. This shows how important early detection is for things like cancer, something far more likey to happen with equal access to treatment.

As for the rest, we're not going to convince the other that we're right. Discussing this any further is unlikely to change that. The Declaration of Independence says people have the unalienable right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I believe that access to healthcare is a major component to that first one, and a notable contributor to the third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Mine sure made it into the list. Take notice!
I don't think they're quite as non-profit as they claim to be.