View Single Post
Old 2009-03-25, 20:36   Link #87
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Since it can get lost sometimes in the shuffle, let me state that this is just my 2 cents.

This turned out better for me than I thought it would. It wasn't especially amazing for me, but I'm satisfied with it as an ending. Except for # 3 of my complaints listed below.

*I'll warn you here that I’m not going to use spoilers because it's already been confirmed that they're unnecessary for episode threads*

I particularly liked the ending scene with Ryuji finding Taiga in the little locker with the overlapping thematic bit about finding happiness. There were more parts but I can't remember them all so I won't note them here. Just know that there were several more parts that I felt were well done (i.e. kiss).

Parts I thought were funny:
- Grandfather Takasu slapping Yasuko's hand away from the osenbei.
- Flying Kitamura (he'll always take the opportunity to prove he's a sexy beast)
- Everyone flipping out there cell phones to try and call/mail Taiga and Yuri-sensei trying to tell them to get a taste of what life is about. "もっと人生を味わう...something"
- Ryuji's attack on the one-socked bag in Taiga's room
- And the part I thought was the funniest, Minori: "ごめん、とは思ってない。"

After watching it twice and clearing something up for myself, I only have 3 small complaints/problems.
- Why can't Taiga tell Ryuji that she's going back to reconcile and set things straight with her mom?
- Why does it take so long for them to see each other again? Noting the distance would've helped here.

I felt that the answers to my first two problems were just used to manufacture a more depressing feeling for the two. Probably to heighten the impact of their reunion. I assume that they still kept in touch, so I would've liked to have seen a bit of how they were doing apart during that time. But again, they probably didn't show that (well, budget/time) to add to the manufacturing bit.

- Lastly, I want to know how things are going to go for them from now on. Is this reunion a onetime deal for a while, or will they be able to be closer together sometime soon since they're graduating.

I won’t think about a rating for the whole series until I rewatch it. Which almost automatically gives it at least a 7 for me. (If you think that's too low, my rating scale is stricter than most others and heavily weighs in rewatchability/purchaseability for me)

Last edited by Ryuou; 2009-03-25 at 20:59.