View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 14:37   Link #648
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm a humongous ARIA fan (and slice of life in general) fan and I still found Hyouka boring. Please don't give people the wrong idea and put them off a wonderful series like ARIA. You can definitely love one of these two shows and hate the other. Not that I hate Hyouka, I just found it dull and soulless. The oh so important little spark was simply not there. Hopefully, it will appear later.

I believe the main reason so many people including me were disappointed is that they simply did not know what to expect. Or rather, had mistaken expectations. I for one was expecting a mystery (since, you know, every single site claimed this is what it was) with slice of life elements, I got slice of life with terrible mystery elements. You'd almost think the synopsis for the series is wrong.

Now I realize this is only the first episode, so it's still too early to dismiss this series. That doesn't mean we can't express our disappointment over this first episode though. If the following episodes raise the bar, then everything will be alright.
I do not know which sites you frequent, but from what I recalled in the beginning, when it was announced that this was going to be animated, they described the novel as being a story about growing pains. The mysteries being flavour, but not the main point of the novels. I believe this was from an interview with Gatoh, who is writing the script for this anime.

If people were expecting something like K-On, Lucky Star, or Haruhi... well, I personally say they only got themselves to blame for their disappointment. From the summary alone I already knew that this had a high likelihood of being a low-key setting. It would have been... silly of me to expect something high-octane.

Furthermore, if people had bothered to analyse the OP, it would have revealed what kind of tone the anime was going for. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the translated lyrics and found out it was quite literally what I felt the OP was about, right down to the phrase "Dark and Light" even.

That said, time and further episodes will tell where this anime will go.

Cheers.