View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 22:18   Link #6576
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I had the same suspicion but its seems to fit a sim bigger than a phone sim....
SIM cards come in many sizes. They're actually pretty amazing little devices in terms of their ability to store information as well. It saddens me that I didn't get a lot of exposure to SIM cards back when I would occasionally sell phones for WalMart (I used to work in electronics there), but I did have a Verizon rep tell me a bit about them and how AT&T's SIM cards are supposed to be pretty advanced. You more phone savvy people can correct me if I'm wrong, but my basic understanding is that SIM cards on top of carrying data provide authentication and information required for connecting to, in this case, 3G and 4G networks of service providers. So plugging in a SIM card made for the purpose of allowing your device to connect to those networks would allow it to do so. Hopefully I'm not off base and that it also makes sense.

I've actually never heard of a laptop carrying a SIM card before until this question popped up, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I learned some very interesting stuff today about newer laptop technology! Thanks for that.