View Single Post
Old 2013-01-15, 10:04   Link #277
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What is it?: Young Girls doing what adults should be doing. e.g. Engaging in serious wars and action.

Worst Offenders: Many mahou genres.

Notable Exceptions: None

What makes it popular: Moe and fanservices.

Reasons that I hate it:

Man or rather adults must do everything even if it kills them. Allowing the used of million dollars of technology to make batons, wands and pink skirts strong enough to withstand an atom bomb. LOLs. Girls ain't a tools for war.Girls are supposed to be protected.

Is the hate really worth it?: No, since. I can't do anything about it. The fandom is too strong.

Hmm, straight up use of this cliche does annoy me greatly, but there are some occasions where it can be used to good effect, for instance, Homura in the case of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, in which case the authorities don't know about any of the stuff that is going on- If they did, I'm sure they would try and put a stop to it.

Also, in some cases where teenagers are part of a resistance movement or something I can believe, particularly if there are also adult members- women and even children were involved in resistance movements in World War II, for instance.

On a related note, I liked how in the latest, (as of yet untranslated) episode of the web-anime Busou Chuugakusei: Basket Army, one of the girls, Nanami Karino, has a truly believable reaction to suddenly ending up in combat with a group of hostile mercenaries- she cowers, kneeling on the floor, breaking down and crying (@ 3:16 in the video). I suspect poor shell-shocked Nanami-chan would be a realistic depiction of how many people would react to that situation... It will be interesting to see if they follow her after the events of the anime showing her trying to cope with living with PTSD (unfortunately, they probably won't).
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote