View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 21:28   Link #1
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Want to introduce anime to our kids...

Well, not exactly my kids, it's actually my cousin and nephews. The cousin is aged 11, the nephews are aged 7 and 2, all boys. Only the nephews are together in the same house, the cousin lives in our hometown.

Anime shown on the major networks in our country usually consists of the Big Four (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail) and reruns of Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball series, Doraemon, Inuyasha, and more which has been aired at least once (Ragnarok the Animation, Special A, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Beet the Vandel Buster, etc.).

Now, given the bad rap modern anime has been getting ("animu nowadays is all moe-shit with weak, noob harem protagonist"), I don't want the kids to watch shows that I think would warp their perception of what anime is.

Or better, I don't want them to think that anime = childish cartoons, because anime is more than that. If anything, a lot of animes I have watched myself can be a good crash course in Eastern philosophy and a source of real-life inspiration.

Also, there's the never-ending Sub vs Dub debate. However, as I have grew up with local language versions of Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk myself, I would rather not introduce subbed anime to them, no matter how superior they are to the dubs, because it's likely that they get frustrated from not being able to understand Japanese and read English subtitles as fast as possible. I'll consider introducing subs when they grow up into teens.

It's actually a good thing there are other channels here in our country that air non-Big Four anime, but on cable. Luckily, though, IIRC, the cousin has cable at home, but the nephews don't. So I'll focus on the cousin atm since he's the first one to ask me about anime (though he didn't know that the pic I showed him came from an anime, he thought it came from an FPS; Yeah, FPS is really popular among the kids here).

So any good anime I can initiate an 11-year-old boy into? Note that any recommendations you make may not have aired yet in our country. Of course there's the internet for everything, but introducing him to subs right now sounds like a slippery slope to me.

I'll mention some anime that has been aired in our country to give you an idea:

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Special A
Beet the Vandel Buster
Kiba
Blue Dragon
Slam Dunk
Dragon Ball
Inuyasha
Doraemon
Crayon Shin Chan
Atashin Chi
Hajime No Ippo (localized as Knock Out)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lucky Star
Ragnarok the Animation
Ghost Fighter
Hunter X Hunter (the old one)
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zettai Karen Children
A Certain Magical Index

If you can't think of any anime that you think has been aired here in the Philippines, you can pick any of these as your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote